Once you have created either an e-learning or an ILT (Instructor-Led Training) course, you can then configure its settings, customizing them differently from the platform default configuration. The platform default settings are either managed from the Configure Branding and Look menu or from the platform Advanced Settings.
To begin, access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner of the platform, then select the Course Management item from the E-Learning section.
On the main course management page, find the course in the list and click on its description to enter the course configuration area, then move to the Properties tab. This area groups all of the configuration options for the course. Most of the options are available both for e-learning and for ILT courses, but there are some exceptions (outlined in this article).
The Properties tab is divided into various vertical tabs, each one dedicated to the configuration of different aspects of the course.
The Details tab lists the data that you inserted at course creation time: code and ID, course title and type, category of belonging, description, and associated skills. While you cannot modify the course ID and the course type after creation, all of the other options are available for editing.
In addition, you need to select a language for the course among the ones available in the platform, and you can take advantage of the following customization options:
- Thumbnail. Set a thumbnail for the course, so that it will be visible in the course card displayed on various learner pages. Find out more about managing thumbnails for courses.
- Associated Skills. Use this area to manually add skills to the course, or to import the skills assigned to another course of the platform. You can associate up to 15 skills per course. Learn more on skills management and on how to associate skills to courses.
- E-Signature. Use this area to enable the e-signature for the course, if the E-Signature app is active in your platform. More on e-signature in your platform.
- Average Time. Use this option to set how much time users should take to complete the course. This value is displayed on the course Details page if the course is in catalogs. By setting the average time for completion, Superadmins and instructors can run reports to compare the actual completion times against the estimated completion times for the course.
Course Additional Fields
This tab is used to define the values of the additional fields assigned to the course. Learn more about additional fields for courses.
The Enrollment Options vertical tab groups the configuration options related to course enrollment as well as to courses and sessions self-unenrollment.
Use the options in this area to manage the self-unenrollment behavior for the course as follows:
- When the Enable self-unenrollment for this course option is selected, the users who have not completed the course can self un-enroll from the course while the users who have completed it cannot self un-enroll.
- When both the Enable self-unenrollment for this course option and the Allow self-unenrollment from the course even if the learner has completed it option are enabled, any user can self-unenroll from the course, even when they have completed it.
When learners self-unenroll, their tracking data will no longer be shown in the course report.
Session Self-Unenrollment (for ILT and VILT courses only)
In addition to managing the self-unenrollment from courses, for ILT and VILT courses, you can also configure the self-unenrollment from sessions.
Also, use this area to set whether learners are allowed to change the session they are enrolled in, unenrolling from it and enrolling into another one.
As for the course self-enrollment, when learners self-unenroll from sessions, their tracking data will no longer be shown in the course report.
Enrollment Invitations via External Calendar (for ILT and VILT courses only)
From this section, you can enable the external calendar RSVP feature for all of the sessions in the course. An example of integration with an external calendar is Docebo for Google Calendar.
When you generate an enrollment link for a course, learners will be able to self-enroll in the course directly from the link. Learn more on enrollment links.
You can generate enrollment codes and distribute them to your learners so that they will be able to self-enroll from the Subscription Code widget. Learn more on enrollment codes.
Use the options of this tab to manage when learners can start the course and how much time they have to complete it. More details on time options can be found in the dedicated article of the Knowledge Base.
The navigation policy of a course allows you to establish the order of the training material composing it. Find out more about the course navigation policy.
In this tab, you can associate a certificate template to the course so that the course completion certificate will use the certificate template layout. First, create a certificate template, then select it by clicking on the plus button in the Certificate Template row, and choosing it among the available ones in the right panel. You can download it if desired.
From this tab, you can manage the course player, which dictates how the course training material is visually presented to learners. Learn more in the Knowledge Base article on the course player configuration.
In the Catalog Options tab, you can configure the course visibility and self-enrollment policy on catalogs. Refer to the Knowledge Base article on catalogs for further details.
This tab is visible only if you have activated the e-commerce app.
From here, you can set whether a course is available for free in catalogs, or if it is on sale. If the course is on sale, select the course in on sale in catalogs option, and set a price for it. Remember that you cannot put courses on sale if they include training material from Docebo Content or from any other content provider.
If you’ve activated the Content Partners app, you can set the standard price for users that are not affiliated with the content partner for the course, as well as a price for affiliates. If you set a default discount for affiliates when creating the content partner, the Affiliate Price section will be automatically calculated based on the standard price, with the default discount of the content partner applied. This field can be changed as desired, but remember that the Affiliate Price cannot be higher than the set Standard Price (it can only be lower or equal).
Enrollment limitations for courses on sale
When a course is on sale, the settings in the Catalog Options tab will be handled as follows:
- Waiting List section options
- the Allow automatic enrollment from the waiting list when learners unenroll option will not apply, even if selected
- Course Enrollment Policy section options
- if the Pending Admin Approval enrollment policy is enabled, users will be able to self-enroll freely
- if the Only Admins can enroll learners enrollment policy is enabled, users will not be able to purchase courses.
From this tab, you can assign the course to an existing content partner. Click on the plus button and select one of the available content partners in the right panel. Please note that a course can only be assigned to one content partner. Once you match a course with a content partner, the course will by default inherit the same additional fields as the content partner.
However, you can select the option to enable custom additional fields for the course and use the corresponding fields to customize them. Learn more about content partners.
Score & Credits
Use this tab to manage the initial and the final score of the course. Tracking both scores can be useful to understand if the users knowledge improved after they took the course.
These values are shown in the users-courses custom report when the corresponding fields are enabled.
Course initial score calculation
Check The score generated by a training material option to activate the initial score calculation, and select the training material that will be used to assign the course initial score among those associated with the course.
Course final score calculation (Bookmark)
Manage the assignment of the course final score for your users. Use this area to configure the final score assignment method for this course.
The final score can be:
- Set as the score of the last training material generating a score, this is the default option. Remember that the training material order is set in the Training Material tab.
- Generated from a specific training material in the course, select it from the dropdown
- The sum of the scores of all the training material associated with the course
- The average of the scores of all the training material associated with the course
Both the sum and the average of the scores calculation methods work accurately only if all of the training material associated with the course uses the same units: either points or percentage.
- If the score of your course is generated by a specific training material, when the training material is removed from the course, the score calculation method is reset to the Use the score of the last training material in the course option
- Both for the initial and the final score calculation options, the training material available for selection and included in the score calculation are SCORM, Tin Can, AICC, assignment, test, LTI, and Elucidat, since these types of training material support the score management.
- When the score is manually set by a Superadmin or a Power User, the score will not be updated even if the learner then completes other training material thus generating a score. The score generated by the training material completion is not considered, while the score shown is still the one set by the admin or Power User.
If you change the score calculation method, all existing scores will be recalculated, even if they have been manually set by a Superadmin or a Power User. If the score calculation method is changed by a Power User, the recalculation will be carried out for all of the users enrolled in the course, even if not directly managed by the Power User.
The settings you configure in this tab for ILT courses will only be applied to the sessions where the evaluation criterion is set to Evaluation Based.
Remember that SCORM, AICC, xAPI (Tin Can), and LTI packages may include scores. If you want to exclude the score of these packages from the calculation of the course score, make sure that they are not sending any score to the platform. Since the course score calculation takes into consideration all scores, including those set to 0 (zero), if your calculation method is either set to The sum of all scores taken by the user in the course or The average of all scores taken by the user in the course and the external package sends a 0 (zero) score, then it will also be included in the calculation.
Set the number of credits assigned to the course, they can be shown in custom reports and in the My Activities area.
Rating & Sharing
From this tab, you can enable users to rate the course and to share the course details on social media. Learn more about:
Certifications & Retraining
From this tab, you can select the certification to associate with the course. Click on the plus button and select the certification from the right panel. Learn more about certifications and retraining.