Use the Docebo’s E-Commerce App to sell courses online through your platform, creating your own marketplace and making it available either to registered users only or to unregistered users too through catalogs.
Activating and configuring the E-Commerce for your platform requires different steps. This article will drive you through the whole procedure.
Use Case Scenarios
If you use your platform as the main means of selling your content, a useful scenario is setting up a trial experience for your potential customers. Using user additional fields and Docebo's Automation App, you can create a 7 or 30-day trial, and all external users (customers) can utilize self-registration to provision.
First, you’ll need to create a user additional field with a dropdown function to allow the potential customer to select a 7-day trial or 30-day trial. Next, use the Automation App and create a new daily scheduled rule that will use those additional fields to set either a 7 or 30-day expiration date to a user’s profile based on their selection at self-registration.
Activating the E-Commerce App
The first step in the configuration of your marketplace is activating the E-Commerce app. Log into your platform as the Superadmin, reach the Admin Menu, then access the Apps & Features area using the Add New Apps button and move to the Docebo Additional Features tab. Then, find the E-Commerce App and click on Try It For Free button.
Read the information in the pop-up box as necessary, then press Try It For Free.
Configuring the E-Commerce App
When the app is activated in your platform, you need to configure its basic settings. Click on the gear icon in the top right corner to reach the Admin Menu. Find the E-Commerce section and select the Manage subitem.
This area is used to configure the currency that will be used in your marketplace, as well as its symbol. The currency symbol is the value shown to users when purchasing a course or learning plan. You can use any symbol or word (eg. € or euro), but remember that the currency symbol is usually displayed with a few characters; long words and phrases may not fit properly on the pages where the symbol is displayed. The currency is the standard value passed to your payment gateway, regardless of the currency symbol you inserted.
Find out the complete list of the currencies supported by Docebo. Please note that some currencies supported by your platform may not be accepted by all of the payment gateways, so remember to check before making your selection.
When you’re finished, press Save Changes.
Configuring Payment Gateways and Wire Transfers
Configure now one or more payment gateways, that will be used by users to complete their transactions in realtime and/or set up wire transfers to offer an offline payment option. Each payment gateway in the platform must be activated independently, and has a dedicated article in Docebo’s Knowledge Base. Refer to the list below to learn how to configure them:
- Paypal Configuration Article
- Authorize.net Configuration Article
- Adyen Configuration Article
- Stripe Configuration Article
- Cybersource Configuration Article
- Westpac Payway
- Wire Transfers
In case you are configuring your payment gateway to be used with your custom domain, we suggest checking the integrity of your HTTPS encryption using one of the following tools:
Putting Courses on Sale
In order to put a course on sale through the E-Commerce app, you need to configure it accordingly. To do so, reach the Admin Menu from the gear icon and select the Course Management option from the E-Learning section. Find the course you wish to put on sale, click on its description and move to the Advanced Properties tab. Move now to the Catalog Options tab, and set options so that the course subscriptions are open (Course Subscription area) and the Enrollment Policy is free (Enrollment Policy area).
Move now to the Ecommerce tab, select the Allow users to purchase the course from a catalog option and set its price. Press Save Changes to confirm.
Remember that, in order to be visible to users, the course has to be included in a catalog.
Putting Learning Plans on Sale
In order to put a learning plan on sale through the E-Commerce app, you need to configure it accordingly. To do so, reach the Admin Menu from the gear icon and select Learning Plans from the E-Learning section.
Find the learning plan you wish to put on sale, click on the pen and paper icon at the end of its row in order to edit it. Move to the Settings tab, and flag the option Show this learning plan in the course catalog. Upon selecting the option, the Ecommerce tab will be displayed under the other tabs of the Edit window. Move to the Ecommerce tab, and select the option Put this learning plan on sale and then set a price.
The price of the learning plan can either be the sum of all the courses included in it, or a fixed price. Depending on how you set the price, you can then decide whether users will be able to purchase single courses inside the plan or will be forced to buy the full learning plan.
Checking E-Commerce Transactions
You can track transactions paid via electronic payments and wire transfers by accessing the Admin Menu and selecting Transactions from the E-Commerce section. More details available in the Knowledge Base article dedicated to transactions.
This feature allows you to create and manage coupons that final users can use to get discounts when purchasing one or more courses. Learn more about coupons.
Buying Courses and Using Coupons (for End Users)
In order to learn more about purchasing courses and using coupons in the platform, refer to this shopping cart article in the Knowledge Base.
- Currently, you can set the price of courses and learning plans in only one currency in the platform, so the price of a learning object is unique. This means that if you set a value for 100, it can be $100, €100, £100, etc., depending on the currency that you set at domain level. If you want a single learning object to use multiple currencies, you need to activate Docebo's Extended Enterprise app, assigning each domain its own currency, then duplicating the learning object with different prices and different currencies. If you don't have the Extended Enterprise app active but you still want a learning object to be set for different prices, you can duplicate the learning object in your single domain then set different price values for each of the learning objects, but note that you will have the same currency for both learning objects.
- If you cannot find your currency when selling courses, you can use any other currency defined in the platform.
- For transaction refunds, please keep in mind that they are managed directly by the payment gateways. No refund actions can be performed by Docebo or within your learning platform.
- Please note that when your users purchase an ILT or a webinar session for which you set pending Admin approval as enrollment policy and a max subscription quota in the course’s advanced properties, if the max subscription quota is reached for the purchased session, users will be placed in the session’s waiting list. Remember that in this case, you have to manually move and manage the users enrolled in the course.