Your Docebo platform allows you to manage your course enrollments through various features. One of these fundamental features is the waiting list, which allows you to monitor course enrollment and decide how many students can be enrolled in a course or session at one time. You can also manage learners waiting to be enrolled in a course. This article will show you how to set enrollment capacities and manage the waiting list for courses and ILT or webinar sessions.
Managing Self Enrollments
Users can self-enroll in courses from catalogs. The enrollment policy is managed at course level, from the course advanced properties area. Reach this area by accessing the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner, then select the Course Management subitem from the E-Learning section. Find the course in the list on the main Course Management table, click on the course description, and move to the Advanced Properties tab. Access the Catalog Options section and move to the Enrollment Policy section. The enrollment options available for the course are:
- Only Admin can subscribe users. Use this option if you do not want learners to self-enroll in the course. In this scenario, only Superadmins (and Power Users with granted permissions) are able to enroll users in the course.
- Pending Admin approval. When this option is selected, learners are able to self-enroll in the course, but the Superadmin (or Power User with granted permissions) has to manually approve the enrollment. Learners are placed on the course waiting list till approval. Purchasing a course through E-Commerce overrides this enrollment policy. This prevents users from purchasing courses without being able to access their purchases.
- Free. If enrollments are Free, users can self-enroll in the course directly from the course catalog.
Configuring the Course Waiting List
Every course in the platform has an active waiting list, and Superadmins have full control on how to populate and manage it for every course. Begin by accessing the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner, then select the Course Management subitem from the E-Learning section. Find the course in the list on the main Course Management table, click on the course description, and move to the Advanced Properties tab.
Access the Catalog Options section. In the Waiting List section, set whether users enrolling in this course from the catalog are placed into a waiting list when the max enrollment capacity is met. You can also flag the option to automatically enroll one waitlisted learner when another learner is unenrolled. The system will select waitlisted learners based on the enrollment date (see the section below).
Next, set the Max Subscription Quota of the course by typing the maximum number of enrolled learners that can be in the course at one time into the corresponding section in the tab. If a user attempts to enroll in the course after the max quota has been filled, he or she will not be able to access the course, or will be placed in the course waiting list, depending on how you configured Waiting List in the Catalogs Options tab of the course Advanced Properties. Finally, set the enrollment policy as described in the Managing Self-Enrollments chapter of this article. When self-enrollments are allowed, the waiting list feature only works with the Pending Admin Approval and the Free enrollment policies.
Automatic User Enrollment from the Waiting List
You can manage the automatic user enrollment in the course or in a session by enabling the following option in the course Advanced Properties, Catalog tab, Waiting List section: By flagging this option, users trying to enroll in this course from a catalog are placed on a waiting list when the maximum enrollment number is met. When this option is selected, the platform will automatically enroll one waitlisted learner when another learner unenrolls or is unenrolled from the course or session. The automatic reallocation of waitlisted users occurs in the following situations:
- a Superadmin unenrolls an active user from the course or session.
- a user unenrolls him/herself from the course or session
- the Superadmin increases the maximum number of users allowed in the course (Max Subscription Quota option)
- every time a user changes the ILT or VILT session he or she is enrolled in
If there are multiple users on the waitlist for a course or a session, priority is given to who enrolled the earliest (thus, they were on the waitlist first).
When is a user placed on a Course's Waiting List?
A user can be placed on the waiting list of a course due to enrollment capacities or enrollment policies, depending on how you as the Superadmin have configured the course’s Advanced Settings. A user will be placed on a course’s waiting list in the following scenarios:
- If manually placed by a Superadmin or a Power User (with granted permissions)
- If the maximum enrollment capacity is met
- If the enrollment policy is set to Pending Admin Approval (see the Managing Self Enrollment chapter of this article)
- If a user has self-enrolled into an ILT course but did not choose a session while enrolling
- If a user is assigned to a learning plan that includes an ILT course
- If a user self-enrolls into an ILT course and there are no available sessions or all sessions are fully booked, and the course max quota has not been reached
When is a user placed on a Session's Waiting List?
A user can be placed on the waiting list of an ILT course due to enrollment capacities or enrollment policies, depending on how you as the Superadmin have configured the course’s Advanced Settings. A user will be placed on a session’s waiting list in the following scenarios:
- If manually placed by a Superadmin or a Power User (with granted permissions)
- If you have set a maximum enrollment capacity for the session
Managing the Waiting List of Courses
In order to manage the waiting list of an e-learning course, access the Admin Menu, then choose the Course Management subitem from the E-Learning section. Select the course, and move to the Enrollments tab. The Enrollment Status of the users in the course waiting list is Waiting Users. Click on the ellipsis menu at the end of the user row, and select the Edit Enrollment option. In the right panel, change the enrollment status from Waiting Users to Subscribed to enroll the users in the course, or to any other available status. Press Confirm to complete your action. Use the same menu option to manually place a user in the course waiting list, by changing his/her status to Waiting Users.
Managing the Waiting List of ILT Sessions
In order to manage the waiting list of an ILT session, access the Admin Menu, then choose the Course Management subitem from the E-Learning section. Select the ILT course, and move to the Sessions tab, select a session and move to the Enrollments & Evaluations tab. Click on the ellipsis menu at the end of the user row, and select the Change Status to change the enrollment status from Waiting Users to Enrolled to enroll the users in the course, or to any other available status. Use the same menu option to manually place a user in the course waiting list, by changing his/her status to Waiting Users.
Learners Being Placed on the Waiting List
Once the enrollment capacities and policies have been set for a course, and the course is in a catalog, users can press the Enroll (Waiting List) button on the course's page in the catalog. If the user cannot be enrolled directly into the course and will be placed on the course's waiting list (either due to enrollment capacities or policies, as described above), a message will let the users know that they’ve been placed on the waiting list.
The course will still be displayed in the My Courses and Learning Plans area of the users’ platforms, but they will only be able to access a Waiting List page, which displays general course information and a list of course content but does not give users access to any training material or sessions. In the course’s card in the My Courses and Learning Plans area or in a course catalog, users will see that they are In Waiting List.
Tips & Tricks
In order to quickly see the number of users on the waiting list of courses from the Course Management page, enable the Waiting List column with the Columns Management feature.