DISCLAIMER: The support of Stripe Tax is available on demand. For more details contact Docebo via the Help Center or through your Account Manager, if your plan includes this option.
DEPRECATION NOTE: The Docebo for Stripe Standard Integration reached its End of Support on July 31, 2022, and its End of Life on November 30, 2022.
The Stripe Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) payment gateway is an authorized payment gateway on your platform.
Docebo integrates with Stripe SCA, which is compliant with all of the International credit card circuits and with the European regulatory requirement to reduce fraud and make online payments more secure. Learn more on Stripe SCA (opens in a new tab).
Stripe SCA manages the automated tax calculation via Stripe Tax (opens in a new tab), learn more in the Managing the Tax Calculation Method chapter of this article.
Please Note: If the accurate calculation of taxes is a determining factor in the proper operation of your e-commerce business, it is highly recommended that you only enable Stripe SCA as your credit card transaction processor.
Requirements & Limitations
- Configuring Stripe SCA in Docebo Learn requires that the E-Commerce app is activated on your platform.
- Some currencies supported by Docebo may not be accepted by Stripe, so remember to check if your currency is supported by both systems before proceeding. Check out the complete list of the currencies supported by Docebo.
- When using Stripe Tax, please note that the tax calculation is available for the currencies and the Countries listed on StripeDOCS (opens in a new tab).
- When working with the Extended Enterprise, configure the settings of Stripe in the root domain. If some domains require a different configuration, apply the configuration locally, in the E-Commerce tab of the Extended Enterprise app.
Use Case Scenarios
In the United States, prices do not include taxes, while in other countries it is the opposite. Stripe Tax does not explicitly support this diversification since whether taxes should be excluded or included is determined at the account level.
Since Stripe allows you to create multiple accounts and configure them independently and Docebo allows you to configure different payment gateways, one for each Extended Enterprise domain, you can create a domain for the United States market associated with a Stripe account excluding taxes and another domain for other countries associated with a Stripe account configured to include taxes. Optionally, for the second domain, it is possible to hide the "Taxes are calculated at checkout" text shown in the user's shopping cart using either custom CSS or the Localization Tool.
Activating Stripe in Your Platform
Activate the Payment Method - Stripe SCA app as described in the Managing Apps & Features article of the Knowledge Base. The app is listed in the Third Party Integrations tab.
Configuring Stripe SCA in Docebo
In order to configure Stripe SCA in Docebo, log into your platform as the Superadmin, then access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner and select the Manage option in the Payment Method - Stripe SCA section. Activate the Enable Stripe payment gateway toggle to enable this payment gateway in your platform.
Select the Use the real environment option and insert your Stripe account email, Live Secret Key and Live Publishable Key into the corresponding text boxes. In order to retrieve this information, access your Admin account in your Stripe Dashboard (opens in a new tab), go to the Developers tab on the top right corner and then to the API Keys tab.
The publishable key and the secret key are available in the Standard Keys section. If you need help finding this information, refer to Stripe’s support area (opens in a new tab).
Copy those values in the corresponding fields of the Payment Method - Stripe SCA page in Docebo and press Save Changes to finalize the configuration.
In the Payment Method - Stripe SCA page in Docebo, you can select the option to use a Sandbox instead of the live environment to perform any necessary testing. When this option is enabled, none of the payment operations will be billed to any account. In order to use the sandbox option, please fill the Test Secret Key and the Test Publishable Key fields that are displayed when the option is selected.
Managing the Tax Calculation Method
When using Stripe SCA, you can either automate the tax calculation via Stripe Tax (opens in a new tab) or use the manual tax calculation. To configure the tax calculation method, move to the Payment Type area of the Stripe SCA configuration page and select the Simple Charge option for manual calculation or the Enable Automatic Tax Calculation option for automatic calculation.
When the Simple Charge option is selected, the completed payment transactions are listed in the Payments tab of your Stripe admin dashboard. This option requires no further configuration.
When the Enable Automatic Tax Calculation option is selected, Stripe Tax automatically calculates and collects the taxes on all purchases (including subscriptions) performed via e-commerce. Learn more on StripeDOCS (opens in a new tab). The integration with Stripe Tax must be configured both on Stripe and on Docebo as described in the Configuring Stripe Tax chapter of this article.
Configuring Stripe Tax
To configure Stripe Tax log in to your Admin account in Stripe (opens in a new tab), click on the gear icon in the header to access the Settings page and click on Settings in the Tax section.
Configure the available options as follows:
In the Business Information section, set the Origin Address to where your business is located.
In the Product and Prices section select a Default Product Tax Category. The most commonly used option is General - Electronically Supplied Services.
Use the Include Tax in Prices dropdown to select how taxes are presented to the buyer. The available options are:
- Yes - Tax is included in the price: the amount paid by buyers never changes, even if the tax rate varies.
- No - Tax is excluded from the price: taxes are specified on the price and added to the subtotal. This solution is common in US markets and for B2B sales.
- Automatic - Use the currency to determine if tax is included or excluded: use this option only if suggested by your tax consultant or by your Stripe CSM.
In the Automatic Tax Calculation section, enable the Use Automatic Tax Calculation toggle.
As a business, you have an obligation to identify the states or provinces and Countries where you have tax obligations and need to register to collect tax in the Registrations tab of the Application Dashboard that you can reach from the Application bar by clicking on More and then on Tax.
From this tab, click on Export Transactions to export transaction data into either an itemized or summarized report, which can be used to integrate with other services for more organic management of taxes. Learn how to register for sales tax, VAT, and GST and how to export transactions on StripeDOCS (opens in a new tab).
Move back to the Payment Method - Stripe SCA page on Docebo, and select the Enable Automatic Tax Calculation option in the Payment Type section and enter the Tax Code.
The most commonly used option is txcd_10000000 which represents any Electronically Supplied Service.
Deprecation of Stripe Standard for Subscriptions App Users
Docebo has scheduled the End of Life date for the Stripe Standard integration on November 30, 2022, in favor of the more secure Stripe Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) (opens in a new tab) solution.
If you have the Stripe integration activated in conjunction with the Subscription app in your Docebo platform and you have configured Stripe Standard as the payment gateway for the automatic renewal of your subscriptions, migrating to Stripe SCA will require your users to re-execute the payment by filling in all of the required fields the first time the renewal is carried out.
This update requires effort for you and your users, so, in order to make sure that your renewal payments are safely processed:
- your Stripe Standard accounts will be kept active even after November 30, 2022
- after November 30, 2022, you will only be able to create new accounts with Stripe SCA
- you still need to plan your migration to Stripe SCA as soon as possible
You will keep receiving your payments even before upgrading to Stripe SCA.
Please pay attention to the following notes when integrating Stripe into your platform:
- When a user buys content using Stripe as a payment method, that user will be registered as a customer in Stripe and you will find their details in your Stripe Admin Dashboard.
- To complete the purchase, please note that the following data is mandatory: Address, City, and Country. If automatic tax collection is enabled (such as with Stripe Tax), the following data is mandatory: Address, City, Country, State/Province/Region, and ZIP/Postal code.
- The process for setting up the Stripe SCA configuration in your platform is identical when using either a single domain or Docebo’s Extended Enterprise functionality.