Use the Docebo’s E-Commerce App to sell courses online through your platform, creating your own marketplace and making it available either to registered users only or to unregistered users too through catalogs.
Activating and configuring the E-Commerce for your platform requires different steps. This article will drive you through the whole procedure.
Use Case Scenarios
If you use your platform as the main means of selling your content, a useful scenario is setting up a trial experience for your potential customers. Using user additional fields and Docebo's Automation App, you can create a 7 or 30-day trial, and all external users (customers) can utilize self-registration to provision.
First, you’ll need to create a user additional field with a dropdown function to allow the potential customer to select a 7-day trial or 30-day trial. Next, use the Automation App and create a new daily scheduled rule that will use those additional fields to set either a 7 or 30-day expiration date to a user’s profile based on their selection at self-registration.
Activating the E-Commerce App
Activate the E-Commerce app as described in the Managing Apps & Features article of the Knowledge Base. The app is listed in the Docebo Additional Features tab.
Configuring the E-Commerce App
When the app is activated in your platform, you need to configure its basic settings. Click on the gear icon in the top right corner to reach the Admin Menu. Find the E-Commerce section and select the Manage subitem.
This area is used to configure the currency that will be used in your marketplace, as well as its symbol. The currency symbol is the value shown to users when purchasing a course or learning plan. You can use any symbol or word (eg. € or euro), but remember that the currency symbol is usually displayed with a few characters; long words and phrases may not fit properly on the pages where the symbol is displayed. The currency is the standard value passed to your payment gateway, regardless of the currency symbol you inserted.
Find out the complete list of the currencies supported by Docebo. Please note that some currencies supported by your platform may not be accepted by all of the payment gateways, so remember to check before making your selection.
When you’re finished, press Save Changes.
Configuring Payment Gateways and Wire Transfers
Configure now one or more payment gateways, that will be used by users to complete their transactions in realtime and/or set up wire transfers to offer an offline payment option. Each payment gateway in the platform must be activated independently and has a dedicated article in Docebo’s Knowledge Base. Refer to the list below to learn how to configure them:
- Paypal Configuration Article
- Authorize.net Configuration Article
- Adyen Configuration Article
- Stripe Configuration Article
- Cybersource Configuration Article
- Westpac Payway
- Wire Transfers
In case you are configuring your payment gateway to be used with your custom domain, we suggest checking the integrity of your HTTPS encryption using one of the following tools:
When using the Extended Enterprise app, make sure you configure the payment gateway account in use in the main domain for all of the sub-domains for proper processing of payments.
Docebo at no point during payment gateway transaction take custody or store any credit card information.
Putting Courses on Sale
In order to put a course on sale through the E-Commerce app, you need to configure it accordingly. To do so, reach the Admin Menu from the gear icon and select the Course Management option from the E-Learning section.
Find the course you wish to put on sale and click on its description. While in the Properties tab and click on Advanced Settings and then Catalog Options:
- in the Course Visibility in Catalogs section, set who can see the course when it is placed in catalogs. Remember that, in order to be visible to users, the course has to be included in catalogs.
- in the Course Self Enrollment section, configure whether users can self-enroll in the course from the catalogs where it is included (and they have visibility on). Make sure users can self enroll in the course, or they will not be able to see the course in catalogs.
- in the Catalog Enrollment Policy section (visible only when the Course Self-Enrollment option is either set to Self-enrollments are available or to Self-enrollments are available during a specific time period), select the Self-Enrollment option. Please note that:
- If you select the Pending Admin Approval option and the course is on sale, the setting will be ignored and learners will be able to self enroll
- if you select the Only Admins can enroll learners option and the course is on sale, users will not be able to buy the course
Move now to the E-Commerce tab, select The course in on sale in catalogs and set the course price. Press Save Changes to confirm.
Putting Learning Plans on Sale
In order to put a learning plan on sale through the E-Commerce app, you need to configure it accordingly. To do so, reach the Admin Menu from the gear icon and select Learning Plans from the E-Learning section.
Find the learning plan you wish to put on sale, click on the pen and paper icon at the end of its row in order to edit it. Move to the Settings tab, and flag the option Show this learning plan in the course catalog. Upon selecting the option, the Ecommerce tab will be displayed under the other tabs of the Edit window. Move to the Ecommerce tab, and select the option Put this learning plan on sale and then set a price.
The price of the learning plan can either be the sum of all the courses included in it, or a fixed price. Depending on how you set the price, you can then decide whether users will be able to purchase single courses inside the plan or will be forced to buy the full learning plan.
Checking E-Commerce Transactions
You can track transactions paid via electronic payments and wire transfers by accessing the Admin Menu and selecting Transactions from the E-Commerce section. More details are available in the Knowledge Base article dedicated to transactions.
This feature allows you to create and manage coupons that final users can use to get discounts when purchasing one or more courses. Learn more about coupons.
Buying Courses and Using Coupons (for End Users)
In order to learn more about purchasing courses and using coupons in the platform, refer to this shopping cart article in the Knowledge Base.
If you want your users and managers to immediately know when certain events have occurred, make sure that the Notifications app is active in your platform, and that you have correctly created and configured the following notifications:
|E-commerce Settings Were Changed||Triggered when an Admin updates the Ecommerce settings, any of them.|
|New Wire Transfer Transaction||This notification is sent to users selecting wire transfer as payment method for their purchase. It should include all the bank details needed by the user to complete the payment.|
|Wire Transfer Transaction Canceled||This notification is sent to users who purchased a course and paid via wire transfer, when their transaction is canceled by a Superadmin.|
|Wire Transfer Transaction Marked As Paid||This notification is sent to the users who purchased a course and paid via wire transfer as a confirmation that the payment has been received.|
Users and managers will only receive notifications about their checklists if the Notification feature is active in the platform and if you as the Superadmin have properly set up the notifications listed above.
- Currently, you can set the price of courses and learning plans in only one currency in the platform, so the price of a content is unique. This means that if you set a value for 100, it can be $100, €100, £100, etc., depending on the currency that you set at domain level. If you want a single content to use multiple currencies, you need to activate Docebo's Extended Enterprise app, assigning each domain its own currency, then duplicating the content with different prices and different currencies. If you don't have the Extended Enterprise app active but you still want a content to be set for different prices, you can duplicate the content in your single domain then set different price values for each of the contents, but note that you will have the same currency for both contents.
- If you cannot find your currency when selling courses, you can use any other currency defined in the platform.
- For transaction refunds, please keep in mind that they are managed directly by the payment gateways. No refund actions can be performed by Docebo or within your learning platform.
- Please note that when your users purchase an ILT or a webinar session for which you set pending Admin approval as enrollment policy and a max subscription quota in the course’s advanced properties, if the max subscription quota is reached for the purchased session, users will be placed in the session’s waiting list. Remember that in this case, you have to manually move and manage the users enrolled in the course.
- Purchasing a course through E-Commerce overrides the Pending Admin approval enrollment policy. This prevents users from purchasing courses without being able to access their purchases.