The PayPal payment gateway is an authorized payment gateway on your platform. Please note configuring PayPal in Docebo requires that the E-Commerce app is activated in your platform. There are two different ways to configure PayPal in Docebo:
- PayPal Legacy. IPN. This is the older integration.
- PayPal Payments. This is the newer integration, released in March 2017, and it is highly recommended for new implementations.
Requirements & Limitations
- All configurations process PayPal payments in the same way, so users using PayPal to purchase courses in your platform should not notice a difference between one or the other during the checkout process.
- Some currencies supported by Docebo may not be accepted by PayPal, so remember to check if your currency is supported by both systems before proceeding. Check out the complete list of the currencies supported by Docebo.
- When working with the Extended Enterprise, configure the settings of PayPal in the root domain. If some domains require a different configuration, apply the configuration locally, in the E-Commerce tab of the Extended Enterprise app.
Activating PayPal on Your Platform
Activate the Payment Method - PayPal Payments or the Payment Method - PayPal Legacy (IPN) app as described in the Managing Apps & Features article of the Knowledge Base. The app is listed in the Third Party Integrations tab.
PayPal Legacy (IPN)
In order to configure PayPal Legacy (IPN), log into your platform as the Superadmin, then access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner and select the Manage option in the Payment Method - PayPal Legacy (IPN) section. Activate the Enable PayPal Standard payment gateway toggle to enable this payment gateway in your platform.
Then insert the PayPal account you would like to use. Please note that in order to use this system you need a valid merchant account in PayPal. If you want to test the configuration before using the real environment, you can flag the option to enable sandbox mode. Press Save Changes when finished.
In order to configure PayPal Payments, log into your platform as the Superadmin, then access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner and select the Manage option in the Payment Method - PayPal Payments section. Activate the Enable PayPal Payments payment gateway toggle to enable this payment gateway in your platform.
Please note that you must have a PayPal developer account in order to configure this payment gateway in your platform. The PayPal Payments gateway only works with some countries and some currencies. Check if your country and currency are supported by PayPal (opens in a new tab).
Insert your PayPal account, Client ID, and Client Secret into the corresponding text boxes. In order to retrieve this information from PayPal, you need to create an application in your PayPal Developer account. Refer to PayPal’s knowledge base to learn how to do so (opens in a new tab).
Once your app is created, you will see the API keys needed for the configuration. Please note that by default, your new PayPal account will be created in Sandbox Mode. You can use this mode if you also want to use the sandbox mode for PayPal Payments in your platform. In order to use the API keys for live payments in your platform, uncheck the Sandbox Mode toggle. Press Save Changes to complete the integration.