In your platform, you can perform a global search for courses, learning plans, training material, informal learning assets, or questions & answers. Using the search bar at the top of your platform, simply type in the information for which you’re searching, then press the magnifying glass icon next to the bar. Please note that search results depend on visibility, meaning that you will only see content which you’ve been assigned to see.
For example, courses or learning plans (and any related assets within them) in which you are not enrolled will not appear, unless they are published in a catalog which you are entitled to see (because the Superadmin has set the "Pending Admin Approval" or "Free" options in its enrollment policy), or appear with a padlock if the enrollment policy is set by the Superadmin to "Only Admin can subscribe users".
Which search criteria should I use?
When searching for content in your platform, you need at least 3 characters or words to trigger a search (blank spaces and dash characters “-” will be excluded from the character count). The text you type is then searched in the following fields of the content available in the platform:
- Short description (available for some training materials)
- Course additional fields (only text additional fields)
- Course ID (only for courses)
- Tags for informal content uploaded via Discover, Coach & Share, as well as tags for formal content. Tags include both tags you have manually selected and - in case of content in the following languages: English, Italian, French, German, Spanish and Portuguese - tags that have been suggested by Docebo's Artificial Intelligence tagging algorithm
- Words that may be included within an informal or formal content (for example, text in a document-type content or what may be said by a narrator in a video or audio – works with English as well as non-English content that Docebo is able to transform from speech to text)
How Are Search Results Sorted?
The global search uses a full-text search and prioritizes results based on the Elastic Search engine. Search results are sorted according to the priority of the searchable fields provided by Docebo to the Elastic Search engine algorithm.
The following table lists the items and their relative boost number used by Docebo to add more relevance to the relative searchable field in the Elasticsearch base algorithm:
|Course Additional Fields||1|
|Transcript (words that may be included within an informal or formal content)||1|
As an example, if the term you are searching is included in the tags of an asset and in the title of a course, the asset will be displayed before the course in the search results list. Please note that, for security reasons, the platform artificial intelligence does not access private content (that is, content requiring authentication to be accessed) and can thus automatically generate tags only for public content. When uploading private content, we suggest you add tags manually.
Remember that only Superadmins and experts can add tags manually when uploading an informal asset, while users can add or edit manual tags only once the asset has been published. If you wish to learn more on Elastic Search, here follow some interesting links:
Managing Search Results
Once you’ve typed your search criteria into the search bar, the search results will appear directly below. Press the title of the content to access it directly. Below each title is a description of the content, including which type of content it is (course, learning plan, training material, knowledge asset, or question & answer). If the search term appears in the asset’s content or tags, you will see an indication of this in the search result. Press the All Results button underneath the list to view a page of all returned results. On the results page, there are six tabs at the top to divide the search results: All Results, My Courses and Learning Plans, Course Content, Course Catalog, Knowledge Assets, and Questions & Answers.
- All Results. This tab shows all content that appears in your search, regardless of the content category. It is a summary page of all returned results.
- My Courses and Learning Plans. This tab shows any results that are courses or learning plans in which you’re enrolled.
- Course Content. This tab shows any results that are training material found belonging to the courses you can see (e.g. because they are part of a public catalog), regardless of you being enrolled or not in those courses.*
- Course Catalog. This tab shows any results that are courses or learning plans within the catalog for which you have visibility.* Using the Filters item in this tab, you can filter the search results by type, language, price, and other filters.
- Knowledge Assets. This tab shows any results that are informal learning assets for which you have visibility, meaning that you published the asset yourself, or another learner published the asset in a channel that you can view.
- Questions & Answers. This tab shows any results that are questions & answers for which you have visibility, meaning the question was asked in a channel that you can view or a course in which you’re enrolled. The tabs can be sorted by best match (default sorting), newest to oldest, oldest to newest, A-Z, Z-A, and lowest price to highest price (and vice versa) for catalogs.
*Please note that Superadmins will be able to view all content in all tabs. Power Users will be able to view all content in courses, learning plans, or catalogs where they have viewing permissions. Instructors will be able to view all content in courses that they are instructing.