Users can either be enrolled in courses by Superadmins, Power Users (with granted permissions) and instructors or they can self-enroll.
This article describes how Superadmins and Power Users can manage users’ enrollments in the platform.
Other articles in the Knowledge Base provide information on how to:
- enroll users in e-learning courses
- enroll users in Instructor-Led Training (ILT) courses
- self-enrollment and waiting list
- enroll users in courses using CSV files
Managing Enrollments for Courses
Once you’ve enrolled users into a course, their enrollments are listed in the course’s Enrollments tab.
In order to reach this tab, log in as the Superadmin, access the Admin Menu by clicking on the gear icon in the top right corner of the platform, identify the E-Learning section and click on Course Management. Click on the course title and move to the Enrollments tab.
You can customize the layout enrollments table by selecting the columns you want to see in the list by clicking on the columns management icon in the top left corner of the table. The table layout is refreshed in real time when columns are selected or unselected from this area.
From this page, you can perform several actions, both for individual enrollments or for several enrollments at a time. When working at individual level, click on the ellipsis menu at the end of the user row.
You can perform the following actions:
- Access the User Stats in the course (only for E-Learning courses). When this option is selected, you will be redirected to the Reports tab of the course, showing the Course Summary Report already filtered for the selected user.
- Edit Enrollment: edit the user enrollment by changing its status (ex. from in progress to completed) and managing the enrollment deadline and additional fields. For e-learning courses only, you can also change the user level in the course (ex. from learner to instructor).
- Enroll into Sessions (only for ILT/VILT courses): in the slideout panel, select the checkboxes next to the sessions you want to enroll the user in, then press Enroll. For more information, refer to the Enrolling Users in Multiple Sessions chapter of the Enrolling Users in Instructor-Led Training (ILT) and Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) Courses article.
- Use the Reset Date Range for Access action (only for E-Learning courses) to delete the visibility period validity and make the course always visible and accessible for the selected user.
- Change Status: Quickly change the user status (ex. from in progress to completed). Please note that some statuses may be disabled, depending on the user's current status. The change user status functionality is also used to enroll users in the course from the waiting list.
- Send Email: use this option to send an email to the user. When sending an email to users from this area, a slideout panel will open for you to compose the message. Besides the recipient email and the body of the message, you can use the following shortcodes: [username] = username of the user; [first_name] = first name of the user (if set); [last_name] = last name of the user (if set); [email] = email name of the user (if set); [course_code] = code of the course (if set); [course_name] = title of the course; [course_description] = description of the course; [course_link] = link to land directly in the course when clicked.
- Unenroll the user from the course. When this option is disabled, it means that the user has been enrolled in the course as a consequence of being enrolled in a learning plan containing this course. In this case, the user cannot be unenrolled from the course, because this would break the learning plan’s logical integrity: you have to unenroll the user from the learning plan first to make course unenrollment action available. Please note that when users unenroll or are unenrolled from a course, their tracking is kept in the platform, so that if they re-enroll or are re-enrolled in the course, they can resume it from where they left off.
From the enrollment page, you can perform the same action for multiple enrollments. Select them using the checkbox next to the usernames and click on Choose Action at the bottom right corner of the enrollments table to quickly edit enrollments, change the users’ status in the course, unenroll users from the course, reset the date range for access (for E-Learning courses), enroll users into sessions (for ILT/VILT courses), or send an email. When sending an email to multiple recipients from this page, remember that it will be sent to the selected users, independently of their status. If you have selected inactive users, the email will be sent to them as well.
The Choose Action menu may also show a link to an external website. Click on this option, to open the website in a pop-up window where you will be able to operate, for example, to mark in a third-party system that the user has completed the course. Links to external websites must be created as enrollment IFRAME additional fields. Refer to the Creating Iframe Enrollment Additional Fields chapter of this article for further information on how to create and manage enrollment additional fields.
Managing Enrollments for Sessions
Once learners are enrolled in the session, as described in the Enrolling Users in Instructor-Led Training (ILT) and Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) Courses article, they are listed in the Enrollments & Evaluations tab.
Reach the tab by accessing the course from the Course Management area, moving to the Sessions tab, and selecting a session by clicking on its name. Move to the Enrollments & Evaluations tab.
Click now on the ellipsis menu at the end of the enrollment row to manage it according to the following options:
- Edit Enrollment: When you click on this option, a right panel will open. In the Enrollment Details section, you can change the user’s enrollment status. Click Confirm to save your changes.
- Change Status: Directly change the enrollment status (ex. from in progress to completed). Please note that some statuses may be disabled, depending on the user’s current status. The change user status functionality is also used to enroll users in the session from the waiting list.
- Evaluate: This option is available only if the session evaluation /completion is set to Evaluation Based. In the right panel, set whether the selected user has passed the session (that means, all of the events composing it) or not, or leave the option to Not Set when the evaluation is not needed or will be done in the future. Set the user completion date to mark the session as completed. Optionally use the Score text box to assign a score to the user and attach a file (such as a certificate) if desired. Use the Mark the user as present at all of the events in the session option to mark the user attendance to all of the events included in the session, instead of doing it for every event, in the event Attendance tab. Finally, use the Learning Performance Evaluation text field to add comments to the evaluation. Please note that Instructors cannot evaluate themselves and cannot be evaluated by Superadmins.
- Send Email: Use this option to send an email to the user. When sending an email to users from this area, a slideout panel will open for you to compose your message. Besides the recipient email and the body of the message, you can use the shortcodes listed under the Message text area.
- Unenroll: Use this option to unenroll the user from the session.
From the Enrollments & Evaluations tab, you can perform the same action for multiple users. Select them by using the checkbox next to their usernames and clicking on Choose Action at the bottom right corner of the page to quickly change the users’ status in the session, evaluate users, unenroll them from the session, or send an email. When sending an email to multiple recipients from this page, remember that it will be sent to the selected users, independently of their status. If you have selected inactive users, the email will be sent to them as well.
Importing Enrollments from Another Course
You can import enrollments from one course to another. To do so, access a course from the Course Management page and click on Manage Enrollments in the top right corner of the page. Select now Import Enrolled Users from Course.
In the right panel, select the course from which you would like to import enrollments or search for it by typing its name in the Search Courses area. Then choose whether to import all users, independently of their level and status, or to select one or more levels and statuses to import. If needed, set the enrollment validity period using the Active From and Active Until dates. The enrollment validity period of the source course is always overridden. If no enrollment validity period is set during the import, there will be no enrollment validity period for the imported enrollments. Click on Next, review your selection, and confirm it by clicking Submit.
Adding Instructors to Courses
Instructors are an important part of courses, whether they are e-learning, ILT or VILT courses, so we suggest you, as the Superadmin, add at least one instructor for each course, also to reduce your manual workload. Instructors can be assigned to courses in different ways, also depending on the type of course.
As for e-learning courses, when manually enrolling one or multiple users into the course, set the user(s) level to Instructor in the slideout panel. As an option, reach the course’s Enrollments tab, find the user that you would like to appoint as an instructor and press the ellipsis menu in the user row, then select Edit Enrollment. In the Level dropdown, select Instructor, then press Confirm to complete the action.
When enrolling users into courses via CSV files, create a Level column, then ensure that every user that should be an instructor has the Instructor level in their row in the Level column.
Please Note: Instructors of e-learning courses are counted as enrolled users.
When assigning instructors to ILT courses, instructors are assigned to the event or session without being enrolled in it. In addition, you can assign instructors either to a session or to an event:
- Session Instructor. If you assign an instructor to a session, they will be automatically assigned to all of the events included in the session and will be able to mark the attendance for all users attending it. If the Session Completion option is set to Evaluation Based the instructor can set whether the participants have passed them or not. The instructor will be able to create and update the training material for the course. In order to assign one or more instructors to a session, when creating or editing a session, use the Session Instructors field.
- Event Instructor. If you assign an instructor to a single event within a session, they can mark the attendance for the learners attending that specific event and will have no control over the other events or over the session. Event instructors cannot upload nor manage the training material assigned to the course. In order to assign one or more instructors to an event, when creating or editing an event, move to the Details tab and then to the Event Instructors area.
Adding Enrollment Additional Fields
Enrollment additional fields are additional fields prompted at enrollment time (e.g. the enrollment reason) that either users fill out upon self-enrolling in courses from catalogs, or Superadmins and Power Users (with granted permissions) complete when enrolling users from the Course Management area. Depending on their configuration, enrollment additional fields can be set as mandatory.
To create enrollment additional fields, access the Course Management page, then move to the Enrollment Additional Fields tab. Select the type of enrollment additional field you want to create from the Add dropdown menu, then press the Create button.
In the pop-up box, select the language of the field name, that is how the additional field will be presented to users, then type the field name into the corresponding text box. Set whether the enrollment field is requested for all courses, or only for a specific category of courses. If you set the option to apply the field to a category of courses, select the category using the dropdown menu.
Next, set whether the field is mandatory and visible to users. If it's mandatory, the user or the Superadmin/Power User must fill in the enrollment additional field upon enrolling in the course. If the field is mandatory but not visible to users, you as the Superadmin (or Power User with granted permissions) will have to fill in the additional fields when enrolling users into the courses since they will not be able to do it by themselves. Even in this situation, users will be able to freely self-enroll in courses.
Press Save Changes to complete the creation procedure.
The new field will then be listed in the Enrollment Additional Fields tab. You can edit the field by pressing the pen and paper icon or delete the field by pressing the X icon in the field's row.
Notes on Enrollment Additional Fields
- When users self-enroll in courses using either subscription codes or enrollment links, they will not be required to fill in the mandatory additional fields.
- Dropdown enrollment additional fields will require the internal ID of the value you insert in the element list, not the value itself. The ID can be fetched via API. Further information about Docebo API.
- Enrollment additional fields are not prompted when users enroll or are enrolled in courses from learning plans, or when users are automatically enrolled in courses according to the rules defined via the Enrollment Rules app.
- Iframe additional fields are used to open external websites on the course enrollment page, not during the enrollment procedure.
- You can create up to 50 enrollment additional fields in your platform.
- If users are enrolled and if you add a dropdown enrollment additional field after enrollment, when you edit the enrollment,
- in e-learning courses, the additional field will be populated with the first available option (make sure that the desired option is selected before saving),
- in ILT courses it will be empty
Creating Iframe Enrollment Additional Fields
To create an iframe enrollment additional field, select the IFRAME type of enrollment additional field from the Add dropdown menu, then press the Create button.
In the pop-up box, select the language of the field name, that is how the additional field will be presented to users, then type the field name into the corresponding text box. Set now Iframe URL and the iframe height.
Some sources of external content may have security mechanisms in place. If this is the case, you may be required to utilize an OAuth client. Fill in the Salt Secret for the iFrame and select the OAuth Client from the dropdown menu, if necessary. By providing the salt secret, you are adding a checksum to the data, ensuring that the credentials for this access are maintained securely. If you do not add the salt secret, the iframe content will be launched from your platform without any additional parameters that may be required by the provider of the content. More information on salt secrets (opens in a new tab).
As for the other enrollment additional fields, set whether it is visible to users. Press Save Changes to confirm the field creation.
Please Note: Iframe additional fields cannot be set as mandatory fields.
Enrollment and Waiting Lists
Once users are enrolled in a course, or in a session, they may end up in the related waiting list. Learn more on waiting lists.