As a Superadmin, you may need to assign some administrative permissions to some of your users so that they can help in managing the platform and other users. These users are called Power Users.
Create users as Power Users, and configure Power User profiles with different permissions, so that you can create different types of users, with different rights, according to your needs.
Use Case Scenario
The definition of Power User profiles is very useful for the management of branches located in different countries, or in association with the Extended Enterprise App, to manage different domains.
Activating the Power User App
Begin by logging into your platform as a Superadmin, access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner of the platform, then press the Add New Apps button in the menu. To activate the Power User App, select the Docebo Additional Features tab. Find the Power User App in the list of apps, then select the Try It For Free button. Read the information in the pop-up box, then press Try It For Free.
Creating a Power User
As a first step, create your Power Users either by following the standard user creation procedure, setting the user level as Power User or directly from the Power User app. To do so, access the Admin Menu by clicking on the gear icon in the top right corner. In the E-Learning section, select the Power Users item. The Power Users Management page is composed of two tabs:
- Power Users. This tab lists all of the Power Users configured in your platform
- Profiles. This tab lists all of the Power User profiles already configured in your platform.
In order to create a Power User, click on the plus button in the top right corner, then select New Power User.
Creating a Power User Profile
A profile is a set of permissions that you can associate with one or more Power Users. You can configure as many profiles as you need in your platform, but remember that you can assign up to 10 profiles to each Power User.
In order to create a new Power User profile, from the main Power Users Management page, click on the plus button in the top right corner, then select New Profile. In the right panel, set a profile name and, optionally, a profile description. For security reasons, both the profile name and the profile description are checked according to the OWASP guidelines and will be sanitized to avoid injections. Click on Create and Edit to start the configuration.
Use the General section to edit the profile name and description, if necessary.
In the Pre-Populated User Additional Fields area, you can select the user additional fields that will be automatically assigned to the users created by the Power Users assigned to the profile you are creating. To do so, click on Select Additional Fields, select one or more fields from the right panel that will open by clicking the checkboxes next to their field names, and click on Select to confirm your action. This step is optional. Please note that the user additional fields defined as Invisible to the user are not automatically populated upon the user creation.
Move now to the Manage Permissions section to assign the rights to the profile, that is what the Power Users assigned to the profile will be authorized to do in your platform. Click Add Permission, and select an area from the corresponding dropdown, in the right panel that will open. Once you pick up an area, use the Type dropdown to define whether you want to assign all permissions related to the selected area to the Power User profile, or select the Custom Permissions option to choose a subset of permissions from the third dropdown.
Have a look at the complete list of the permissions available for the configuration of Power User profiles to have an overview of the available permissions and relevant options.
Once you have completed your selection, click Confirm. The permission you have added is listed in the recap bottom area of the Manage Permissions section. Repeat the permission selection for all of the areas you wish to assign to the profile.
Assigning Profiles to Power Users
Once the Power User profile has been created, you can assign Power Users to it. While in the profile creation page, move to the Power Users Assigned tab, click on the Assign Power Users button in the top right corner, select the Power Users you want to assign to the profile from the right panel, and click Assign. When you assign a Power User profile to a Power User, you’re giving them the permissions assigned to that specific profile.
You can remove any of the assigned Power Users at any time, from the Power Users Assigned tab. To do so, hover your mouse at the end of the Power User row, click on the ellipsis menu and select Unassign from Profile. Once a Power User is removed from a profile, he/she will no longer be able to use the permissions assigned to the profile, but will still be a Power User of your platform.
At any time, you can assign Power Users to a profile from the Profiles tab of the Power Users Management page by hovering your mouse over the ellipsis menu at the end of the profile row and selecting Assign to Power Users. If you need to associate more than one profile to a Power User, select the profiles by clicking on the checkboxes next to their name, and select Choose Action – Assign to Power Users in the bottom right corner of the table.
You can also assign a Power User to a profile from the Power Users tab of the Power Users Management page by clicking the icon of the Assigned Profiles column in the row of the Power User, or by hovering over the ellipsis menu at the end of the Power User row and selecting Assign Profiles. Use the Remove Assigned Profiles to do the opposite: remove one or more profiles assigned to the selected Power User.
As of May 26, 2021, In order to improve the app performances, the number of profiles you can assign to every Power User will be set to 10. If you have more than 10 profiles assigned to your Power Users, the exceeding profiles will be kept, but as you remove one or more of the exceeding profiles, you will no longer be able to restore the association unless you decrease the total number of assigned profiles. When a Power User has more than one profile assigned, he/she will inherit all of the permissions of all of the assigned profiles.
If a Power User is assigned to a user belonging to a branch the Power User is not assigned to, the Power User can assign the user only to one of the branches he or she is managing.
If your platform has been activated before October 21, 2019, when a Power User assigns the user to a branch he or she is managing, the user will be kept in both branches. If your platform has been activated after October 21, 2019, users can belong to only one branch. If the Power User assigns the user to one of the branches he or she is managing, the user will be removed from the previously assigned branch.
Assigning Resources to Power Users
You can check the profiles assigned to each Power User, as well as a recap on the pre-populated additional fields and the assigned permissions from the Power Users Management page by clicking on the Power User name and accessing the Properties tab.
From here, move to the Assigned Resource tab to assign the Power User to several platform resources: users, groups, branches, courses, learning plans, catalogs and locations, so that the Power User will be allowed to manage them.
Select the Resource Type from the left menu, and click on Assign Resources, and proceed with the resource selection.
As an option, you can quickly assign resources to a Power User from the main Power Users Management page. Click on the ellipsis menu at the end of the Power User row, then select the Assign Resources option. In the right panel, choose the type of resource you wish to assign, and click on the Next button to finalize your selection.
You can also assign the same resources to a selection of Power Users with a single action. To do so, select the Power Users by checking the checkboxes corresponding to their rows, then click on Choose Action in the bottom right corner of the page, and select the Assign Resources option.
Notes on Resource Assignments
- When assigning resources to a Power User, the assignment will be effective only after the Power User first logs in to the platform after the assignment is confirmed. This will prevent your Power Users to see their associations changing on the go.
- When assigning catalogs to a Power User, for those using content catalogs from Docebo’s Content Marketplace, Power Users cannot grant their assigned users visibility to those full content catalogs. Only Superadmins can manage catalog visibility for Content Marketplace catalogs.
- It is possible to assign more than one profile to a Power User. He/she will inherit all of the permissions of the assigned profiles.
- If a Power User is assigned to a user belonging to a branch the Power User is not assigned to, the Power User can assign the user only to one of the branches he or she is managing.
- When assigning an entire set of resources to one or more Power Users (all courses, all learning plans, etc.), the assignment is considered as a dynamic sum of all the resources, which changes depending on the resources created or deleted in the platform. This behavior is reflected in filters too. For example, if you filter Power Users using the Without Learning Plans filter, the results page will never include the Power Users assigned to all learning plans, even if there is no learning plan in your platform.
Managing Power Users
You can manage the Power Users you have created in your platform from the Power Users Management page, either individually or in groups.
From the Power Users tab of the Power Users Management page, click on the ellipsis menu at the end of the Power User row to perform the following actions:
- Power User Overview. When you select this option, you will access a quick recap of the resources and the profiles assigned to the Power User, as well as an overview of the permissions he or she is granted on the basis of the assigned profiles.
- Edit. Use this option to edit the details of the selected Power User.
- Assign Resources. Use this option to quickly assign resources to the selected Power User. See the Assigning Resources to Power Users chapter of this article for further details.
- Assign Profiles. Use this option to quickly assign profiles to the selected Power User. See the Assigning Profiles to Power Users chapter of this article for further details.
- Unassign Profiles. Select this option to quickly unassign more profiles from the selected Power User with a single action.
- Log In as This Power User. As a Superadmin, you can temporarily login as a Power User in your platform to perform actions on his or her behalf to help with troubleshooting in his or her learning platform. The same option is available in the Power User profile, in the top right corner. Learn more about impersonating a Power User.
- Unassign All Courses. Use this option to unassign all of the courses, learning plans and categories from the selected Power User.
- Switch to User Level. Use this option to demote the Power User to a normal user. When you do so, all of the profiles and the resources assigned to the Power User will be unassigned.
You can perform most of the above-mentioned actions on several Power Users at a time. To do so, select the Power Users by clicking on the checkboxes next to their usernames, and then click on Choose Action in the bottom right corner of the table to take advantage of the following options:
- Assign resources. Use this option to assign to the selected Power Users:
- a custom selection of resources, see the Assigning Resources to Power Users chapter of this article for further details
- all the courses available in your platform
- all the learning plans available in your platform
- all the courses and the learning plans available in your platform
- all the courses and the learning plans visible in catalogs. When selecting this option make sure that the Power User is assigned to a profile enabled to manage catalogs.
- Assign profiles. Use this option to assign one or more profiles to the selected Power Users. See the Assigning Profiles to Power Users chapter of this article for further details.
- Unassign All Profiles. Use this option to unassign all of the profiles linked to the selected Power Users from them. Since this option results in the selected Power Users no longer being assigned to any profile, in order to proceed with this action, the platform will ask you if you also want to demote the selected Power Users to normal users.
- Unassign All Courses. Use this option to unassign all of the courses, learning plans and categories from the selected Power Users.
- Switch to User Level. Use this option to unassign the selected Power Users to their role, demoting them to normal users. When you do so, all of the profiles and the resources assigned to the Power User will be unassigned.
Creating and Managing Power Users via CSV Files
In your platform, you can create and manage users by means of CSV files. When creating or managing Power Users with this method, remember that you can assign up to 10 profiles per Power User.
To create a Power User via CSV file, set the user data field Level as power user and use the Profile Name data field to list the names of the Power User profiles you want to assign to the user. Profile names must be separated by the | character (pipe, or, vertical bar). When assigning multiple profiles to a Power User, do not use | as the separator in the CSV file.
Power Users and Catalogs
- Once you grant the Power User profile the permission to buy seats for courses on behalf of end-users, they will be able to buy seats for courses and learning plans from catalogs, and then assign those seats to the final users that they manage (please note that the E-Commerce App must be activated). In this scenario, when Power Users enter the course page from any catalog they are assigned to, they will see two available actions:
- Enroll. To buy the course for themselves
- Add to cart. To buy the course on behalf of other users
- Power Users can purchase courses directly for other users only if users can view and buy the courses themselves from a catalog to which they have visibility. Once you’ve added an item into your shopping cart, access the cart from the corresponding icon in the header of your platform and finalize your purchase as described in the Buying Courses and Learning Plans on Behalf of Other Users chapter of the Shopping Cart Management article of the Knowledge Base.
- Power Users cannot remove the association between a catalog and a sub-branch unless they are also assigned to the sub-branch parent branch
Granting Free Seats to Power Users
As a Superadmin, you can grant Power Users free seats for courses on sale through catalogs, allowing them to enroll the users they manage into those courses for free.
To do so, log in as a Superadmin and access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner. Select now the Course Management area in the E-Learning section. Click on the course for which you would like to allocate extra free seats, then move to the Seats tab. Click the Add Seats button in the top right corner, type and select the Power User name and set the number of seats to assign to the Power User.
In order to be available for selection, the Power User must be assigned to the course you are managing free seats for, and must be associated with a Power User profile enabled to manage seats with the following permission: Course Catalogs -> Custom Permissions -> Allow Power User to buy and assign seats for courses and learning plans.
Power Users will be able to use seats to enroll themselves and other users in the course only if there are still seats available. If the number of the users selected for enrollment by the Power User exceeds the number of available seats, the enrollment process will be completed on the basis of the number of available seats.
In the Seats tab, you can check the list of Power Users who are in charge of the seats for the selected course, the number of assigned seats, the number of seats the Power User has purchased, the number of free seats the Power User can still assign, and the total seats for each Power User. Once you configure this option, the Power User will be able to manage extra seats for other users for free.
Tips and Tricks
- A Power User can not modify another Power User profile. Power User profiles can only be modified by Superadmins.
- The Power Users who have permission to create courses can also set course categories for the course. If another Power User has visibility to the same course category, the two Power Users are then able to work together to build out the courses in that category.
- If your platform is organized in branches and you need to assign a Power User to each branch/sub-branch, use a CSV file instead of a manual assignment. During the CSV import, configure the Auto assign branches to Power Users functionality.