Once you've added training material into a course, you can then manage training material settings for each individual material. To do so, access the Training Material page of a course in which you are enrolled as an Instructor or Superadmin. On this page, select the menu icon in the training material's row in the list, then press Settings from the dropdown menu. In the pop-up box, you can manage a handful of settings for training material.
Please Note: The settings displayed in the Settings menu for each training material will differ depending on the type of training material. Some settings will not be displayed, as they are not relevant to the training material. Also, note that the Autoplay and Bookmark options have been moved to the Course Advanced Settings, Score Management tab.
In the Hidden section, you can flag the option to hide the training material from learners enrolled in the course. This may be necessary if the training material is no longer relevant to your training needs. Perhaps your company has modified its training plan, or you've uploaded new content. In these scenarios, deleting the material from your platform means you will delete all of the tracking data, thus changing the data and status of completion for some users. It may be useful to simply hide the material from learners instead.
Additionally, please note that hidden training material will not be counted towards course completion for learners that never saw the material. If you have updated a course's content and hidden a training material, it will only count towards course completion if a user completed it before it was hidden. Otherwise, users that are accessing the course after you hid the material will not need to complete this material before completing the course.
Publish (Publishing Time)
If the training material is only relevant to your training plan for a certain amount of time, you can set for which dates you want it to be published. Using the From and To boxes in this section, press the calendar icons and choose the publication dates for the training material. After the final date for the publication has passed, the material will then be hidden in the course.
Number of Views
This section allows you to choose how many times a learner can view this training material: an infinite amount of times until the learner has completed or passed the training material or only a single time.
If you flag the option for a learner to view the training material just one time, it may be useful to notify your learners about this option before they begin the training material, so they know to pay close attention and take notes, if necessary. In this case, learners cannot return to view the training material, even if they failed the exam or the course. You will have to manually go into a course's report to reset the course tracking for that user.
End Object Marker
The End Object Marker is the last mandatory object of a course: when a user completes this material, the whole course will be marked as completed. The End Object Marker is commonly used for courses with a list of mandatory training material in addition to optional training materials, to mark the course as completed even if the optional training materials have not been terminated.
When a learner completes this material, the platform will consider the course as completed, which will be reflected as such in the status and reports.
For ILT courses, the session will be marked as completed when the user completes the End Object Marker independently from the selected Session Completion Option.
When configuring this setting, remember that it is not retroactive.
You can set custom dimensions of video and file training material, as necessary. Simply type in the numerical value of pixels into the text boxes.
Please note: Dimensions are only applied if the material is set to play in inline mode.
For some training material, you can choose the view modality, so your learners can view the material in specific ways. Simply flag one of the following options:
- In line opens the training material inside the player. This option is suggested for content that requires the context of the page or the learner interaction. This play mode is available on desktop only.
- Lightbox opens the material inside a Lightbox. This option is suggested if you are placing your content in the front or in the center of the page, as this mode greys and obscures the rest of the page content when the object is playing. It is not recommended for Flash packages. This play mode is available on desktop only.
- New window opens the material in a new window or new tab in your browser (depending on your browser settings). Suggested if you want the learners to play the content in a new tab or window. This play mode is available on desktop and on tablets.
- Fullscreen. This option is suggested to limit distractions or to allow learners to quickly switch to other content. This play mode is available on desktop, on tablet,s, and on mobile. Please note that if you use the fullscreen view mode for xAPI, TinCan, AICC, LTI, and Elucidat training material, it is your responsibility to make sure that the training material sends the tracking data back to the platform in an interval shorter than 5 minutes, otherwise the platform will not be able to save the tracking for the training material.
If you have enabled the possibility to share the course and the training material link, when a training material is either played in Fullscreen or in Ligthbox mode, the Get Shareable Link option is not visible, since the content overlaps the whole platform page.
Please note: Starting with version 92 of Chrome, released on July 20, 2021, the browser prevents iframes from triggering prompts (window.alert, window.confirm, window.prompt) if an iframe comes from a different origin than the top-level page.
This can cause malfunctions in the execution of some training materials if they make use of the commands mentioned above and are played in lightbox or inline view mode. If you experience malfunctions in your training materials, you can restore the correct functioning in two ways:
- In the training material edit panel (that you reach from the Training Material tab on the Course Management page), change the View Mode option to Fullscreen or Play in New Window
- Using the temporary enterprise policy SuppressDifferentOriginSubframeDialogs to revert to the behavior before Chrome 92 (this will be possible until Chrome 95 release)
Setting a Training Material's Prerequisites
For e-learning courses, you can also choose to make training material playable to learners only after they have completed previous training material in the course. Managing prerequisites related to each training material will allow you to require learners to follow a specific order while attending the course.
In order to avoid learners accessing a test before they have completed other training material in the course, you can set those training materials as a prerequisite before the test. Non-accessible training material will be marked with a lock symbol. You can also change the order of your training material by dragging and dropping the order of the material in the list on your course's Training Material page. This is not available for training materials within Webinar or ILT- Classroom course types.
Remember: When you set a material as an end object marker, be sure that all of the mandatory training materials have been set as prerequisites.
Tips & Tricks
A course can have more than one end object marker. By setting two end object markers, a "test-out" process can be created in the course. For example, two tests can be placed in a course and each test can be set as end object marker. If the first test is passed, the course is marked as completed for the user. However, if the first test is failed, the user will need to complete additional training material and pass the second test so that the course can be marked as completed for him/her.