The integration between Docebo and Salesforce requires a one-time installation procedure and an initial configuration of data synchronization. Synchronization is later carried out as a daily procedure or can be scheduled according to your needs.
This article will guide you through the installation procedure and will provide you with the necessary information on pre-requisites and security requirements for this integration.
Please note that images and videos shown in Docebo Knowledge Base articles for Salesforce are in the Lightning experience mode.
Here is what you need to know before installing the Salesforce app in Docebo:
- Make sure that the Admin user running the Salesforce installation in Docebo is also an Admin user in the Salesforce user database: usernames MUST be the same in both systems. If you cannot use the same username on both systems (in the case of SSO federated scenarios, for example), we suggest that you create a non-federated Superadmin user in Docebo to complete the installation procedure
- The Admin user profile that set up the integration, both in Salesforce and in Docebo, must never be deleted or demoted. Deleting, demoting, or disabling the user profile that set up the integration in either system will result in the integration no longer working. We suggest you create a user dedicated to the Salesforce installation in both systems. The Docebo user must be an active Superadmin. The Salesforce user must have installation permissions and a profile with minimum security requirements (as described in the Minimum User Security Requirements chapter of this article)
- When integrating Docebo with Salesforce, nine Salesforce custom objects will be instanced for Docebo. Data stored in these custom objects will be used for user provisioning, synchronization and for Salesforce reports. Find out more.
- When Docebo is embedded in Salesforce, two Salesforce tabs will be dedicated to Docebo. One tab is for Superadmins, and one for learners. These tabs have been named after their purpose: Docebo Admin and Docebo LMS.
Activating the App in Docebo
Activate the Salesforce app as described in the Managing Apps & Features article of the Knowledge Base. The app is listed in the Third Party Integrations tab.
Activating Your Salesforce Installation
After activating the Salesforce App, access your Admin Menu from the gear icon, find the Salesforce section, and press Manage. On the Salesforce Configuration page, insert the URL of your Salesforce org. To retrieve the URL of your Salesforce org, connect to your Salesforce developer account, click on the Setup icon in the top right corner, move to the Settings section of the left side menu, select Company Settings, and finally the My Domain option. If your domain name has already been configured, it is displayed in the Your domain name is field. If you do not have a domain name, then create it from scratch.
It is possible to use the domain name automatically attributed by Salesforce to your org (displayed in your internet browser), but we highly suggest you customize it. While it’s rare that you run into problems during your integration (and in the case that you do, Docebo can still identify you easily), customizing your Domain Name is a great way to save a few minutes in the troubleshooting process, as it allows Docebo to quickly identify you by the Domain Name only. Refer to this article in the Salesforce Knowledge Base for further information on how to customize your domain.
Insert the domain name in the dedicated area of the Salesforce Configuration page, and copy the Secret Key automatically generated by your platform. You will be asked to enter the Secret Key later on, during the Salesforce Installation Activation procedure. As an option, you can select the Sandbox Mode option to link your integration to the sandbox org instead of the production org. Please note that if you are using a sandbox, and you do not flag this option, or if the Salesforce URL is not correct, the Salesforce List Views will not be loaded during the configuration of the user synchronization. Click Activate. You will then be redirected to the Salesforce package installation page. Please note that the Activate button is active only after inserting your Salesforce platform URL.
Once on Salesforce, select the types of users for which you would like to install the Docebo App (if in doubt, select Install for All Users) and check the components that will be installed by clicking View Components in the Additional Details section. Click on Install to proceed. Please note that the app version name and the app version number may be different from the ones shown in this article.
The installation will continue running, a message will inform you when the installation procedure is over. Click Done to go back to your Salesforce org. Should the installation take longer than expected, you will be informed via email when the installation is complete.
Finalizing Your Salesforce Installation
When the Docebo App installation is completed, you need to finalize it. If not automatically redirected to the Installed Packages section, click on the Setup icon in the top right corner, move to the Platform Tools section of the left side menu, select App and, finally, Installed Packages. Check that Docebo is listed in the Installed Packages section of the page. You can check what is included in the Docebo package you have just installed by clicking on the Docebo link under the Package Name and clicking View Components and View Dependencies.
Configure the visibility of Docebo in Salesforce for your users so that users are not allowed to auto-authorize themselves to connect to Docebo, but they need the Admin authorization. Still, in the Platform Tools section of the left side menu, select App, then Connected Apps and Manage Connected Apps. Select Docebo from the list of connected apps, then click on Edit Policies. Set the Permitted Users option value to Admin approved users are pre-authorized. Click Save. On the next page, move to the Profile related list and define the users’ profiles that will be able to access the platform. This last step ensures that you as an admin and other users in Salesforce can use the application.
Go to the Applications page, select Docebo and insert the URL of your Docebo platform, then paste the Secret Key automatically generated by your platform. When the installation is completed, the Secret Key value will always be accessible in the Settings tab of the Salesforce section of the Admin Menu. Move to the Docebo tab, Press Activate to complete the installation process.
You will now be logged in the Docebo App in Salesforce, with the Salesforce Admin user, who is also a Docebo Superadmin. You can now start configuring the synchronization between Salesforce and Docebo.
To do so, access your Admin Menu from the gear icon, find the Salesforce section, and press Manage. When the Salesforce package installation is over, this settings page displays five tabs, each one managing different aspects of the integration. You can now start synchronizing users, courses and enrollments.
Configuring the Tabs Visibility
If you are planning to use Docebo embedded into Salesforce, you need to configure the tab visibility for users. Refer to this article for instructions on how to do it.
Changing the Salesforce Org URL
You can change the Salesforce Org URL at any time. After the installation process is complete, access your Admin Menu from the gear icon, find the Salesforce section, and press Manage. Move to the Settings tab, type the new URL in the URL field, then press Update to confirm your changes and start the installation process for the new domain.
Resetting Your Salesforce Configuration
Resetting your Salesforce configuration means deleting the integration between Docebo and Salesforce as well as all the synchronized data in Docebo, including the SFDC_ID and SFDC_type additional fields. You will then be able to integrate with a different Salesforce environment or restart the current integration from scratch.
In order to reset your Salesforce configuration, access your Admin Menu from the gear icon, find the Salesforce section, and click on Manage.
Minimum User Security Requirements
When the installation of the Salesforce package is completed, the Salesforce user profile of the users performing the installation can be restricted. Connect to Salesforce, move to the Administration section of the left side menu, select Users and Profile. Then, identify the profile and press Edit. Configure now the profile according to this list of the minimum user requirements needed for the users managing the integration between Docebo and Salesforce, as described hereafter:
- Salesforce user profiles must have the Docebo App and any Docebo package components assigned
- In the Connected App section, Docebo must be selected
- In the Administrative Permission section, flag the following permissions: Apex REST Services, API Enabled and View All Users
- In the Standard Object Permissions section, set the Read access to Account and Contacts objects. As an option, it is possible to set Read and View All. If you set Read, the user profile will see only a subset of records due to Sharing Rules configured in Salesforce Org. If you set Read and View All, the user profile will have read access to any object records regardless of Sharing Rules configured in Salesforce Org.
- In the Custom Object Permissions section, set the Modify All access to on all SFDC v3 data model custom objects