E-learning courses are those courses you can attend online at any time, with no live sessions. The training material for these courses is published inside the course itself, and the platform will track your progress as you go through the course. Once you enter the course by clicking on its card in the My Courses and Learning Plans page, you may see an Overview page before reaching the course player, or you may simply be directed to the course player, depending on Administrator settings.
Please Note! When attending e-learning courses, your progress is tracked, so that you can stop the course and resume it at any time. For proper tracking, configure your browser not to block pop-ups, and avoid incognito windows.
The Course Player Page
On the course page, the course player is placed at the top and the list of all of the training materials composing it is located on the right side. The description of the currently selected training material is shown under the course player.
To start your course, either press the Start Learning Now button or select a training material from the list, then press the button in the middle of the player to play it. If you have already started the course, click Start Learning Now to be taken back to the first training material (without resetting your progress), or Resume Where You Left Off to restart learning from the first non-completed training material. As you play the first training material, your progress will be tracked on top of the training material list.
In the list of training materials, press Previous or Next to move from one training material to the other, in historical order, or click on the training material title to switch freely. When a training material is completed, it will be identified with a green checkmark while a yellow checkmark shows that the training material is still in progress and has to be completed.
Press the arrows icon in the top right corner of the player to enter into fullscreen mode and the panel button in the top right corner to show or hide the list of training materials. The Social Sharing button allows you to share the course details on social media. Use the Get Shareable Link button to copy either the course link or the link of the training material that you’re viewing so that you can share it with other users. Use the Add to Playlist button to add the course to an existing playlist or to a new playlist. More information on playlists.
The Overview Page
If the overview page is active for a course, you will see this page before accessing the course player page. The overview page includes the course’s thumbnail and other course details. Press the Start Learning Now button to access the course player or click on any chapter in the Content tab.
The Content tab shows a list of all of the content within the course, as well as the type of each training material. Click on the training material's title to be redirected to the course player page where the training material will immediately begin playing.
You may see the Questions and Answers tab where you will find the questions asked by other users on the course, together with the related answers. More info on questions and answers.
All of the available training material within the course is listed in the table of contents on the right of the course player page. Training materials are marked with a symbol:
- A padlock indicates that in order to start this training material, you must complete the previous one.
- A grey checkmark indicates that you have not started this training material yet.
- A yellow checkmark indicates that you have started but not completed this training material.
- A green checkmark indicates that you have completed this training material.
A course can be made up of different kinds of training material: texts, images, audio files, videos, games, presentations, surveys, tests, assignments, observation checklists, or HTML pages.
A course is considered finished when all of the training materials are completed. Once finished, the course is marked as Done.
Notes on Training Material
- When you’ve finished a training material, you need to close the course player before the browser in order to ensure that the training material is accurately marked as completed.
- If you have completed a training material but this is not displayed as completed, a background retry mechanism will ensure the completion. This process could take up to a few minutes, so don’t be afraid to close the browser and check it later. If the problem persists, please contact your platform Administrator.
- Training material from Coursera external provider will require you to agree to Coursera’s terms and conditions the first time you access it. This is because third-party cookies must be allowed by the browser in order for the training material to be tracked. The completion of these training materials may take up to 24 hours.
Course widgets are useful tools that can be integrated into the course to provide you with additional information on the course itself. If the overview page is active, all of the course widgets are shown on the overview page. If the overview page is not active, course widgets will be shown below the player. Available widgets include:
- Course Information. Shows information related to your progress in the course. The displayed information will be: the dates of enrollment, last access, the status of the certificate, the time spent navigating the course, and the percentage of completion.
- Course Description. Shows a complete course description.
- Forum. Use this widget to discuss topics with other students and ask questions to the instructors.
- Comments. Participate in live discussions with other students.
- File Repository Area. Download files from the instructors, which often provide additional info about a specific topic.
- Web Conferencing. Join live web conferences organized by instructors.
- Instructors. Displays contact information for the instructors of the course.
Please Note: Course widgets will only appear on the overview page when the overview page is active. If so, they will not appear on the actual course player page. If the overview page is not active, the widgets will appear on the course player page.